The power of resilience and resources – Master’s student Maya Georgieva secures a hospitality internship during covid

Fear not, while the hospitality industry may still be heavily impacted by the global covid pandemic, top employers are hiring – you just have to persevere and search smart, and a great role will reveal itself. Just ask MSc in Hospitality, Entrepreneurship and Innovation student, Maya Georgieva.

“It was definitely challenging to find a job during Covid-19, but luckily I had the chance to work for AX Group in Malta”, Maya says. “My position is HR Administrative assistant in the Head Office. AX Group is divided by hotels, development, construction and care, in order to gain hands-on experience, they sent me for two weeks to work in their different properties, and in various departments.”

From the Middle East to Malta

While Maya did mange to secure an internship, her search wasn’t unaffected by the global pandemic. But as hospitality begins to tentatively emerge from covid, Maya’s internship has the potential to not only become a full-time position, but also enable her to take on a position of greater seniority.

“I already had found a job in Bvlgari Hotel Dubai. But, unfortunately, with the Covid-19 situation the offer got postponed. I started applying again and received the AX Group opportunity. After I finish my internship, there is a possibility for me to start a full-time job with them on a higher position, either in the head office or in one of the hotels.

“Glion gave me a broader perspective and knowledge about the industry, and it taught me how to think outside of the box.”

Excited to head to Malta to start her AX role, Maya reflected on the support she received to find an internship, both through her MSc at Glion and student services.

“I definitely think that what I learned during my program in Glion helped me to make a difference during my job interview”, she says. “I was prepared for the real-world, full of ambition and motivated to succeed. Glion gave me a broader perspective and knowledge about the industry, and it taught me how to think outside of the box.”

“There are constantly new positions appearing on the Simplicity internship platform. And every time I have a question concerning jobs and internships, I receive an email back right away, with the best and the most supportive answer possible.”

Know what’s in your control, and what isn’t

Resilience is always a powerful skill to poses and one that can be developed with investment in your self and your future. Now more than ever, it is a trait that enables clearer thinking, stronger decision making and the ability to persevere. For Maya, this is an innate personality trait, strengthened through her love for hospitality.

“At the beginning of the crisis, when the borders started closing, my class and I were supposed to travel to California on a field trip”, she says. “We were preparing for it for a long time, and after it was cancelled we were taught that sometimes what happens to us is beyond our control.

“Even though we are living in difficult times, being positive and doing whatever is possible will save us and surprise us after the virus disappears”

“I have always had motivation to continue and not giving up about anything in life, but, the fact that I am in love with the Hospitality industry kept me going forward and pushing myself even more. I have always believed that, even though we are living in difficult times, being positive and doing whatever is possible, will save us and surprise us after the virus disappears.

Advice for students seeking a position

With positivity as her guiding light, Maya had some uplifting advice and energy to share with students looking for an internship or a role after graduation.

“Even though you are going through a hard time, do not give up, because the job of your dreams is right there, waiting for you. It will appear when you least expect it, you just need to be patient!

If you feel inspired reading Santiago’s story, check out the internship search experiences of Master’s student Tanya Radu and Santiago de Greiff.