What to expect on internship

Hello everyone!

Right now, lots of you are looking for your first internship, aren’t you? Well, I hope the search is going well so far. As promised, in my last post, I would like to share with you some more information about my experience in the One & Only Reethi Rah of the Maldives. For most of you, this is your first experience in a real working environment; there’s nothing to be afraid of, trust me. It might seem a bit scary at the beginning since you don’t know what to expect, but you will be fine.

My internship started in the fine dining Japanese restaurant, where I began learning all the basic procedures of the restaurant. Even if I was taught during CBL how to operate in a restaurant and so on, once in the real work space, everything is completely different. During my first night I was completely lost. I didn’t know what to do, where to stand, how the restaurant was run and I had the feeling of being useless. Pretty normal I guess, but then I got used to it.

After a month in the Japanese restaurant, I moved to the main restaurant, which operates during the breakfast, lunch and dinner times. It felt like everything was normal again. Since the restaurant procedures were much more similar to those we learned during CBL. Compared to the experience of the previous month in the Japanese restaurant, it was much easier to adapt to.

Just remember not to be afraid of making mistakes, we all go through our first experience. The learning process never ends. So if you have any doubts simply ask one of your colleagues or supervisors, they are there, ready to help you. You probably remember your first day during service at Hotel des Alpes? Were you scared of the other students? Did you feel nervous? Well, during your internship, don’t be. Although I am aware that is easier said than done! There is no reason to be afraid of the guests because they understand you. You will realize that you will feel more confident being in contact with a lot of different people everyday.

During my F&B experience I had the chance to move to the bar as well. Sometimes it was very stressful but I had a lot of fun. I learned to prepare several cocktails (which of course I had to taste) and other drinks. It happened once or twice that I was left alone behind the bar, with big responsibilities, but luckily everything went smoothly and I managed to have a nice time, especially interacting with the guests.

Did you enjoy or are you enjoying the Wine class? At One&Only I worked as a sommelier for a whole month. Of course there was a lot to learn about grapes, wines and I did lots of wine tasting as well. In my opinion, it has been very useful not only for my job at the time, but as well for my own knowledge about wines. It has been one of the best departments I’ve worked in.

Then, I moved to room service, which is probably one of the toughest departments in the hotel. This is where the most absurd requests and embarrassing moments take place on a daily basis. Guests opening the door half naked, those that shout at you because you woke them up having forgotten that they had called room service, guests ordering bottles of vodka at 9 am and so on. Room service in my hotel was completely different from what one expects: picnics on deserted islands, barbecues on the beach,…It was quite funny at times. To deliver the order, I had to use a golf-cart, as the hotel is an all-villa resort. Sometimes, I took the opportunity of driving around the island. Naturally, I only did that when we weren’t too busy!

Have a nice week and I wish you the best of luck for the upcoming interviews.
Enjoy your midterm break!

1 Discussion on “What to expect on internship”

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.