FAQs about the Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality

Georgina SpenceThe Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality is a unique program that often requires a bit of explanation. Candidates wonder: Is it like a master’s? What do students learn and what kinds of careers does it lead to? 

To answer these questions, Georgina Spence, a UK national and December 2015 graduate of the postgraduate program, shares her views on the program structure and the details of the applied learning components that include hands-on hotel management courses.

Why did you decide to join the Postgraduate diploma? What career objectives motivated your decision?

“After completing my BA (hons) in International Business, I realised from my work experience in travel that working in hotels and tourism was something I was interested in, especially the interaction with the guest. After this initial thought, it was my goal to research which program would suit my objectives. This search led me to discover that Switzerland has some of the best hospitality schools in the world, and hence my final decision was to study at Glion Institute of Higher Education.

Visiting the campus further clarified that the learning outcomes and classes of the postgraduate hospitality diploma were suited to my interests and career goals.” 

What was your experience like at Glion so far? What are the best things about the program and student life?

“One of the best things about the program is the different cultural perspectives that classmates have and the experiences they bring to the class. In an industry that is culturally diverse, it’s useful to hear about the teacher’s experiences and the countries that students are from, we are all able to integrate things from outside of the classroom into the lessons.

When I heard about the “Glion Spirit”, I was unsure as to what this truly meant but after two semesters of studying, I have experienced the meaning of it. Since my first day of studying at Glion, there has always been something to do with classmates, whether it was social gatherings, birthdays, or excursions organized by the school,  we also organized trips to different countries and even met up over the holidays.

“The people you meet at Glion really enhance the experience you have, and I believe there still will be a connection when we finish. As so many classmates go to such different destinations, the network is truly global.

What did you do in the Applied Learning courses? How does this experience change your professional skills and knowledge, your career outlook?

Applied learning at Glion

“For the applied learning courses, I chose rooms division (in the postgraduate diploma we have the choice of Food & Beverage, or Rooms Division). This choice was due to my interest in learning about guest accounting, dealing with groups, forecasting and creating packages. During our 6 weeks of applied learning, we were exposed to housekeeping, reception and learning how to use Opera (a hotel reservation system used commonly in the industry). Initially, the first week of housekeeping was hard as we were assigned a total amount of rooms to complete every day. However, this task became easier when we learned better time management and more about our roles and the tasks included.

The theoretical classes helped me to better understand the interaction between the guest and employee. For the Opera system training, using role-play helped us to practice dealing with situations that may affect a guest’s stay. Thinking practically about the situation helped us to get an understanding of the processes in reception and housekeeping, which include checking in guest.

“This knowledge has helped me grow professionally, as I have gained a deeper understanding of hotel management and learned the requirements for ensuring an optimal guest experience.”  

For example, prior to doing housekeeping, the detailed importance of cleaning and checklists never crossed my mind. However, now I know first-hand the work that goes into presenting a room and the importance of the presentation for the guest, the quality and cleanliness of a room determines the guest experience and it’s really what guests are paying for.

These skills have helped me to develop a system of professional precision and accuracy, so I know how to ensure that the guests’ standards are met, which is very important in hospitality. I also learned to think about the costs associated with every aspect of the operational departments, and the eventual loss of revenue if hotel operations are not managed properly.

Where are you going for your internship and how did you find the position?

I have now completed the courses for the Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality and I graduated on December 11th 2015. Now I must complete an internship of approximately 6 months in a hospitality organization.

brussels

“The next step for me will be moving to Brussels, Belgium in late January for my internship in Partner Marketing with Starwood Hotels and Resorts

While looking for an internship, the company presentations at Glion helped me to gain awareness about whether the company culture and the positions offered suited my individual goals. The documents online for interview preparation given by the Careers office also helped me know what to expect before, during and after the interview process, which helped us to make our final decisions.

To learn more about Glion Institute of Higher Education’s postgraduate hospitality courses, visit the program page of Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality Management.

Photo By: photo of Brussels by Steve Collis

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.